Thursday 4 September 2014

Introduction

Hello to everyone and anyone who may be reading this.

I guess I'll start by saying my name is Chantal and I am a first year MUN student. I don't believe I am "hip" enough to have a blog but let's give this a shot anyway. As I said, I am a first year student, and am pursuing an Arts degree. I am very ambitious and love music. But that just about sums up most who are pursuing Arts degrees... So let me go a little bit more in depth about me. I am hoping to obtain a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Linguistics, minoring in Psychology and then hopefully a Master's in Speech-Language Pathology. I have been told this is a competitive field, but isn't every field?

I also love music. Whether it's listening, playing or performing. I have taken voice lessons for the last six years and I also play the guitar, piano and ukulele. I have performed in six musicals as well, participating in another one this November at the St. John's Arts & Culture Centre. I have a passion for musical theatre and am in awe of those who pursue it as a career while so many believe it to be a pipe dream. I hope to continue participating in musicals and theatre projects my entire life as it is a true love of mine.

Besides music, I also enjoy getting involved in my school community. I was student council Co-President in high school and as per usual, got involved in more than I could handle. I have always been a busy teenager and each year I tell myself not to get involved in too much, but I don't think that is possible for me. I am itching to join a club or society at MUN and the opportunities to get involved here seem endless. I can't wait. But before volunteering and joining clubs, I still think school comes first. I worked extremely hard all through high school and that is the plan for university as well. I always strive to do my best in everything in life. I don't think I can be any other way. University is a big step from high school but I am ready for the change. Being the hard-working, organized, and determined person that I am, I think I will handle the adjustment well.

Yesterday was the first day of classes and I would say from my flushed cheeks, sweat-pouring forehead, and overflowing bookbag, I screamed first-year student. I think most people are concerned about the workload that awaits us, but I however, am more concerned about finding my way. My sense of direction has never been good. I managed to lose my way from the science building to the arts building yesterday, which is pretty embarrassing. Even though I have an older brother and many older friends who also attend MUN that are more than willing to help me, finding my way around  has always stressed me out. But each day will get a bit easier and fingers crossed, I will be a campus pro in no time! (But don't quote me on that).

I feel that was a bit of rambling about my mediocre life but maybe I'll add in some random things about me so this will seem more like a blog than a personal essay. I am a big coffee drinker. I have an unhealthy obsession with trail mix. I love blazers and have a collection of them (17 total). I was that annoying person who did the announcements all three years of high school. I have a French name but can't speak French for my life. I am a part-time cosmetician at Shoppers Drug Mart. I will be going to Mexico this Christmas on my second Hero Holiday to build houses for poverty stricken families. So I think I did an okay job on describing who I am. And if you read all of this I will be shocked but also grateful that you took the time out of your busy day.

Either way, thanks and take care.


Chantal L

No comments:

Post a Comment