Friday 7 November 2014

Don't quote me on this...


“Life is about people, not stuff” – Live Different

Live Different, a Canadian charity founded in 2000, is an amazing organization and my experience with them changed my life for the better. This charity is all about empowering youth to make a change in the world as well as in our own lives. To fight social justice issues, make a positive difference and stop the cycle of selfishness. I was so privileged to have had the opportunity to work with Live Different last Christmas when I participated in a Hero Holiday. I, along with 40 other Canadians travelled to the Dominican Republic and built three homes for families living in extreme poverty. I could write a novel on how incredible and life-changing this experience was, so rather than do that, I will link Live Different’s website to anyone interested in a Hero Holiday or more information about the charity. (Seriously, go check it out). This quote means a lot to me because it is so simple yet sums up what life is all about. I truly understand the importance and meaning of these words after my experience in Dominican, which also encouraged me to register for another Hero Holiday to Mexico, which I will be embarking on this Christmas.



“One should eat to live, not live to eat” – Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin, as I’m sure we have all heard of, was one of the most famous Americans of all time. Writer, philosopher, scientist and inventor, this man is well known as one of the Founding Fathers who drafted the Declaration of Independence and Constitution of the United States, as well as for his famous theories on electricity. I have to give it up to this man who born in 1706, said such words that are so relevant even in today’s modern society. Obesity and over-eating have become a huge problem in the world now more than ever. I think Franklin had the whole idea that we are born to survive and be healthy, rather than overeat to the point where one becomes overweight or obese. Obesity is such a huge killer in our world today, which I think is completely stupid because it is 100% preventable. This quote is important to me because I am a huge believer in eating healthy and taking care of our bodies. After all, we only have one body, and if we fail to take care of it and continue to put too many bad things into it, our quality of life will be greatly diminished and shortened in the long run. I think obesity is horrible and especially hate that our province has many sufferers of this problem. If only Benjamin Franklin had been a Newfoundlander…


“The happiest people in life don’t have the best of everything, they make the best of everything” – unknown

This quote, although from an unknown source, is very important to me. I received this quote framed as a gift and keep it on the vanity in my room. I like to glance at it once in a while to remind myself that my life is mine to make the best of. Sometimes it is hard to get motivated, but when I read this quote, I think that if I want it to be a good day, then I should make it a good day. Who cares if you don’t have the best of everything when you are out enjoying your life? This quote gives me a very positive outlook on life and every now and then when I feel things could be better, this quote is a good reminder to tell myself that it is up to me to make my life all that it can be.


3 comments:

  1. That Live Different thing sounds really cool! Is there much cost in going? Seems like something I would love to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I also completely missed the link at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely recommend it haha and yes check out the link and all the information is on the website!!

    ReplyDelete